Thursday, November 6, 2014

Blogging Challenge {Day Eleven}

Your worst/funniest/most embarrassing date. 

I have experienced quite a few...interesting...dates. But probably the worst and funniest of them all was the first date I ever went on. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and explain to freshman me that going to things alone is an okay thing... but then again, I wouldn't have a funny story to tell if that happened! 

It was my freshman year. I was a young, naive child of seventeen. I had never been on a date before, never had a boyfriend. Granted, I had tons of guy friends, but that's all they were - just friends. At my university, everyone is required to take a one semester "freshman seminar" course their first semester on campus. Being more comfortable with guys than girls at that point in my life, I quickly made friends with several of the guys in the class. One of them is still one of my closest friends today. Another on the other hand... 

I had sat next to him in class a few times, and he seemed like a nice guy. A little weird, but hey, aren't all freshman slightly kooky? He asked me to lunch one day, and I accepted. I didn't really view this as a date. Mostly because he didn't call it that and also he ate a large plate of mashed potatoes. That's it. That should have been my first clue, but remember, I was quite naive. Also, way too nice. 

At the end of our little lunch...whatever it was...he asked me to the upcoming Vespers (a required fine arts program). I accepted and we made plans about where to meet and which performance to go to. So we go to Vespers, take goofy pictures with our group of friends, and he walks me back to my dorm. 

So far, things were going okay. He had been acting a little funky around a guy I was close to at the time (I called him my "brother") and this same guy had expressed his concern to me about my date. I didn't want to shut the poor guy down so quickly, so I kept holding out, thinking his attitude would improve. Admittedly, I had noticed several things that seemed a little fishy to me as well. 

When he walked me back to my dorm, things got really weird. We stopped at my door and he told me had a serious question for me. 

Do you see yourself having a future with me? 

Okay, let's pause right here. I don't want to kill any sense of gumption any guys reading this have. But seriously, don't ask a girl this on your first date when you've known her for two weeks. Get to know her for realsies. Alright, now we shall continue. 

I balked. Was he seriously asking me this question? On a Vespers date? When we barely knew each other? I didn't know what to say. 

Uuuh... I have no idea. At this point, no, not really. 

This was a massive disappointment to his fragile freshman spirit. So of course he did the only thing he knew to do: asked me to Artist Series. 

Yeah that happened. 

And guess what? 

I said yes. 

(on the condition that we go as friends, but still, I really don't know what I was thinking. At all) 

In my defense, it was the day before tickets were due and I had no one else to go with and I was not comfortable enough in my own skin to go by myself. That changed quickly after that. 

Over the next couple of weeks, things with him got even weirder and extraordinarily awkward. I did my best to avoid him unless absolutely necessary. And after the Artist Series date, we never spoke again. 

True story. 

And there's more where that came from. 

And I now enjoy the many humorous stories I now get to tell because of them. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts